March 06, 2005

Our Bed


This weeks Everyday Matters challenge was to draw our bed. So this is my bed. My daughter said..."It's messy. Mom, you've got to start making your bed!" How funny to hear that from her. My mom always taught me to make my bed...but as you can see that was one of those things that I never implemented into my life. Once in a while I get on a kick to keep our room cleaned up and keep the bed made, but it usually just gets messy after a while. At least it isn't as bad as it used to be. I used to keep everything under my bed when I was a kid. And I am proud to say that I have nothing under there now. Six years ago we decided to give up our mattress on the floor for a new bed. We used our tax return to buy a new bed and mattress. It is one of the best investments we have ever made. Our bed is so comfortable and I love to crawl into it after a long day and curl up under all our covers. In this drawing, I included Sam's guitar in the corner, our various candles...and I tried to give the effect of the Rope light on the floor at the head of our bed, which gives a soft glow to our ugly flowery wallpaper which is on the agenda to strip down one of these days.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ramesh Gandhi said...

Boy, does that look comfortable! I could hardly bear to get out of a bed like that. I like the way you've handled the pen and wash, and given the effect of the wallpaper without needing to go into too much detail.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Karen Winters said...

That is one deluxe looking bed - so civilized! I like the way you've created the ambient lighting with subtle shades.
My bedroom looks like a branch library and cattery. I am envious of the sophisticated tranquility.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Shelly McC said...

This is a gorgeous painting. I love it. The bed looks ...oohhh..oohhh, I'm falling asleep just looking at it!! It looks so sleepadelic!
Well done Julie. Very nice.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Lovely picture, it's so much fun to see everyone's different drawings and paintings, to have a little glimpse of their lives. :-)

You are so good to not have anything under the bed! We have 2 storage boxes from IKEA, one each side. John keeps piles of paper in his, and then there's more piles of paper just lying around. I wish he'd at least get some small storage boxes (there isn't enough room for more of the big IKEA storage boxes as we have chests of drawers either side of the bed that would block access) so it wasn't all such a mess.

4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your bedroom looks very cozy and a loving place. I like how you did the bedcovers, including where they are pulling out of the mattress at the foot of the bed.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

Just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog. I come back frequently to check out your sketches, etc. I'm hoping your drawing experiences will encourage me to get into sketching on a regular basis.

Thanks for sharing your art! I love it!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the way you captured the coziness of your bedroom. I've realized that teaching you to make a bed was not so much for neatness as it was for routein for the brain and flexibility of muscles. At my age the brains and muscles need something to hang on to. Thanks for developing your art, as it also helps the brain and lends to flexibility. Love, MOM

1:37 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Julie -- don't you just love an unmade bed ... so much more inviting looking -- and more fun to draw! Nice job.

8:38 AM  
Blogger u l a n said...

i wish i can draw fabric like you! =) that looks like a really comfy bed.

ian [everydaymatters]
http://ulan25.so-phobic.com/paperjournal

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home