February 18, 2005

EMC: "Draw your desk lamp"



Sam bought this desk lamp at a garage sale in 1994 for $2.00. It is the coolest lamp I've ever seen. It sits on his workstation...illuminating the room with a soothing blue-green light. It has plastic swirled all over it. I think they were popular in the 70s...but not sure. I also think these type of lamps have a name, but I don't know what it is. All I know is that I have been working on this drawing in my journal for like three days. It's done with Prismacolor colored pencil and I drew it with a .02 size Pigma MICRON pen.

I didn't really think about this until I was "inking in" my drawing...but isn't it interesting how the cords kind of look like the swirled green plastic on the lamp? Kind of a cool coincidence...by the way, anyone want to give Sam some advice on organizing all these cords on his desk? It seriously looks like this!

NOTE: EMC stands for Everyday Matters Challenge. I have been attempting the weekly challenges presented on the Everyday Matters Yahoo discussion group. Hopefully I will be able to continue to do both this and IF (Illustration Friday). It keeps me drawing and I like the weekly challenges!

22 Comments:

Blogger Karen Winters said...

You're right, that is definitely a cool lamp!

2:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic drawing! Beautifully done.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Wow, that's a fabulous drawing! I'm not sure that I'd ever have the patience to spend 3 days on a single drawing. Fun lamp, and I quite agree with you about the cables echoing the pattern on the lamp.

4:13 AM  
Blogger u l a n said...

yes, it's one of the [if not THE] coolest lamp i've ever seen! =) it's pretty funky, yeah! your drawing is great.

oh, and maybe your husband would like to use velcro ties to keep them cords nice and neat ;-) hee hee

5:23 AM  
Blogger u l a n said...

oh, this is ian on the everydaymatters egroup, btw =)

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great drawing--and yes, neat interplay between cords and pattern.

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabu drawing that did great justice to a suberb lamp!
LynnDee

12:14 PM  
Blogger Van Waffle said...

Julie, I have to comment on this drawing because I work with Prismacolor, too, and I think this is a stunning and inspiring drawing.

Van, from EM

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Well done getting the spagetti behind the lamp. It sort of reminds me of the floor behind my computer desk. Beautiful drawing.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really a great drawing of a great lamp!

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully rendered. That's one cool lamp.

Detlef

2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool lamp, beutiful drawing! I see that it must have taken some time, it's so detailed.

About the cords, my advice is for you to do something about it yourself. It looks like that in my home too, and my boyfriend is NOT doing anything about it! ;-)

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a newbie over at everyday matters yahoo group and dropped in to see your drawing. It's lovely. The colors are beautiful and it's definitely a very cool lamp. :)

8:55 PM  
Blogger ecritures said...

amazing!!

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another everyday matters chick here - I have yet to draw my lamp - I jsut LOVE this drawing! Wonderful job, it's worth spending time on some drawings!

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked this drawing of Sam's lamp. I've always thought it was a pretty neat lamp, with a cool glow.
You did such intricate work, wow. Loved it!

6:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said, it is fabulous! I can see how everything overlaps and I'm amazed.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific drawing and very cool lamp indeed!

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been wandering through your images. This one's amazing... the color... wow. Such detail. Beautiful.

My cords fall behind the desk so everything appears neat and tidy ;)

12:15 PM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

Very cool lamp--and a beautiful drawing too.

1:26 AM  
Blogger "Maggie & Kevin" said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! The colors and the intricate lines are so well done.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great drawing! That lamp is called a "spaghetti lamp". They were popular in the 60s & 70s and were made from lucite. I have a big cream coloured swag globe I illuminate with a green coloured bulb. They are fabulous lamps! Hang on to yours.

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home