November 10, 2005

Blind Contour Friday #15(I think)...an Altered Book


A blind contour of my birthday present - an altered book...see scan below.

When I got home from work today, there was a HUGE package waiting for me on the counter! I was so excited. I had forgotten my art pen pal had said she had sent a birthday package for me...and then there it was. I ripped it open with the excitement of a little kid...actually, I should mention that my "little kids" were just as excited as I was, as I tore apart the layers of bubble wrap, and carefully unpinned and unwrapped it from it's packaging. My friend sent me this AWESOME altered board book. It's way cool. I wish you could see every page. I have been wanting to do an altered book...I even recently attended a workshop (which was only 2 hours long - and I barely started it there) but haven't made one yet. This book is so inspiring. Thank you, Tammy! I also received another great birthday ATC from a friend from ATC_World (that makes8!). It is so fun to get all these surprises! I haven't received so many fun gifts since I was a kid! Birthdays are fun...even if it does mean you are a year older.
And when I tell people I am going to be 35, they all say I'm still so young. I feel like I am getting old...especially in the last few years. But I hopefully still have many years ahead to enjoy with my family and friends.

Another cool thing that happened...Last night I put the boys to bed, and feeling a bit guilty since parent/teacher conferences because Savannah only knows 7 of her sounds, we came downstairs and spent about 20 minutes practicing letters and matching words and pictures beginning with B, a game that she brought home a few weeks ago. Savannah was so into it, and celebrated with a big cheer everytime she formed an "a" just right. We had a fun time, and I noticed that she was having trouble hearing the ending sounds, which I guess is normal for that age, according to a kindergarten teacher at my school. I didn't realize that they learn beginning sound, then ending sounds and then the sounds in the middle of the word. Anyway, (sorry about the unrelated details) I guess today Savannah amazed her teacher, because when Sam picked her up, Mrs. Clevenger remarked about how well Savannah did with her letters today and trying to sound out words...she wondered what we had done. I was totally blown away that taking 20 minutes before bed to work on some of her stuff made such a huge difference. I knew it was important, but I haven't really done it on a consistent basis, actually one night a week if we are lucky and sometimes it is just in the morning before school on Friday, trying to finish up her homework page. I am going to try so much harder at being consistent with spending time working on reading and writing. I really didn't realize it would make such a big difference in how she did at school.

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

Julie -- I remember when my daughter was having difficulty matching sounds with her abc's... since she "knew" her abc's, I didn't realize that she didn't get the concept of what it was all about until she was having trouble in kindergarten. We got an alphabet bingo game and played for about a week, and ... well, BINGO! She got it! You've got the right idea there with Savannah -- 20 minutes a night keeps it from being boring and will work wonders. Too many parents don't take the time ... good for you!
And Happy Birthday, too! :-)

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home