October 30, 2005

A Drawing Date with Savannah

Sam wanted me to go to Michael's today (last day of a sale) and pick up some Acrylic paint for a new project he has me working on. It was such a gorgeous day today (in the 60's & sunny) and even though I knew that I was going to have to miss my Sunday afternoon nap, I couldn't pass up being *told* to go to Michael's, so I asked Savannah to come along and decided to take advantage of the nice weather to do something I have been wanting to do since the Spring. You may remember, back in the Spring, that I mentioned that I wanted to go and draw this house near us that has all kinds of stuff in the yard. I was a little afraid to do it...never did. Today was the day, only all the plant stuff in their yard is kind of overgrown, so we decided to find another house with some cool Halloween decorations. Savannah and I saw many houses for possibilities, but I was searching for one on a quiet street. We finally found one, and pulled over to the side of the road in front of the house. We got out our drawing stuff, and even though we had brought chairs along, we decided to sit on the ground near the curb. The family who lives there had their inside door open, so they could see us, so I decided to go let them know why we were going to be sitting in their yard. They were very nice about it, but I am sure they thought it was kind of weird. So, we drew for about a half hour or so. It was fun. As we were drawing we talked about the decorations, and a lot of the time we were drawing the same thing at the same time, which was pretty funny to Savannah. There were some things she noticed that I accidently left out, like the string of jack-o-lantern lights hanging from the top of the window. If you look at her drawing, she drew a few of them. Obviously it didn't take as long for her to finish her drawing. She drew some things from the neighbor's house on a couple of other pages, and then was ready to be done. Just as I was trying to get my drawing to a point where we could leave and I could finish it up at home, a little boy came out of the front door carrying a little halloween bag of candy and handed it to Savannah. That made her day, and we thought it was very nice of them to do. When we were done, I went up to the door and knocked again to say thanks. The kid's dad (I assume) wanted to see my drawing...he gave me his email address, told me his name, and we said thanks and headed back home. I have to say, this was by far one of the best times I have had with Savannah. Being five, I doubt she was just going along with it to please me. She really seemed to have fun. I had a blast drawing the same thing as her, too. It's neat to look at our drawings together. I hope she will want to do it again sometime.

Oops...sorry that I forgot to mention that this drawing was for EDM Challenge #38, Draw something Halloween...I made a list the other day of all the EDM Challenges I haven't done. It is longer than the ones I have done now. So now, I am just going to use the list of challenges I haven't completed when I happen to not know what to draw. And I will still try to keep up with current ones. We have a month-long challenge to draw in a museum. I really want to make a trip to the DIA, but I need to find a day to do it, and a friend to go along. (Becky V.?)

12 Comments:

Blogger Misa said...

I'm glad you had a good time on your drawing date!

The house looks very whimsical. I love it!

I never would have had the courage to ask if I could draw somebody's house... but I'm glad you did!

10:43 PM  
Blogger Misa said...

Oops... sorry. I forgot to mention I'm from EDM.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Ramesh Gandhi said...

It's a beautiful drawing, and such a good story - drawing with your daughter, and the (distant) neighbors being so neighborly. They'll love it when they receive the scan by email -- that's a good idea too.

10:54 PM  
Blogger inki said...

It works for "Draw in public" too. I love both drawings. What does Savannah think about her pics posted? Does she think it is neat to see her drawings on your site?LOVE your drawings Julie and the detail and tiny little things you add! Excellent work.
Dede

6:14 AM  
Blogger Kathleen Pequignot said...

Ah, that is so wonderful... you are making such fantastic memories for your daughter. Excellent!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

I love the drawing and love the story! Isen't it wonderful when your family gets involved too? So sweet about the candy too!
I'm admiring your banner. I have all the codes, but can't figure out where in my template it should go and what I should cut out to make it work.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Nita Van Zandt said...

Your drawing is wonderful! And what a delight for the family in that house. I'd never have been so brave, but what a great experience for them, too. They'll have such a story to tell of the artist who came to draw their house!

And what a base of artistry you're building with your daughter! So cool!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great drawing date with Savannah. I love that you both drew the house together. I hope to see more of Savannah's work too! (And, I LOVE that the little boy brought Savannah some Halloween candy!!)

Laurie

11:58 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

I love this - and it's so nice that it's very monochrome with mainly just the touches of orange.

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very charming drawing! Love the simple minimalistic look, with only a few color accents.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

This is a great drawing and an even better story! I love it that you include your daughter in your art ventures -- good for you! They grow up too fast! :-)

9:33 PM  
Blogger "Maggie & Kevin" said...

This is SUCH a lovely drawing, so detailed! I love the pumpkin scarecrow in the chair. What a warm and charming story about your drawing adventure with Savannah. If it were me, I would print both your illustrations out and this story and laminate them into a memory book for her when she is older. Memories like this are often forgotten. Her picture is so well done and for one so young. Thank you for sharing.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home