October 11, 2005

Drawing class - a pumpkin value study

Tonight in drawing class - a lesson on value drawing. I wish I had the pumpkins of my students. They were terrific, I think...but they weren't quite so confident. I often draw with my students. I don't know that it is the proper way to teach a drawing class, I mean, I get up and walk around every so often and comment or help them with their drawings. I find that not only does it help me relax and make it more fun than me just sitting there waiting for them to finish, but I encounter things with my drawing that I can bring up, that I may have otherwise forgotten to teach them. So as we are working we do little mini-lessons on stuff like reflected light, how to draw shadows, etc. Anyway, three of my students were missing tonight, but everyone seemed to really get into their drawing, and I can tell they are incorporating the things I am teaching them. I can see a lot of growth already. Oh, and I should mention, that I didn't exactly finish mine. I did the clone stamp on the background (right side) and I know it looks terrible, but trust me, it's way better than leaving it white!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie...excellent!!! very realistic!...thanks for all the kind words....about class tonite...
deb

10:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice drawing of your pumpkin Julie. Please explain the clone process. I am not sure about it.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie
I loved the pumpkin. Fall has always been my favorite season and of course, pumpkins symbolize it. I wanted to tell you I stopped at the art gallery a few weeks ago. Your journal projects were small jewels amongst the other exhibits. It was wonderful to see many of the things you have posted. And believe me there should be no discussion that your art was not equal to or better than what was exhibited. But I could be a might prejudiced.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Julie Durocher said...

Sorry, I meant to say that I used that clone stamp in photoshop...basically you select an area that you want to clone and then you kind of paint or stamp (click the mouse) in the area you want to be the same. Since I had such a small area of dark, it really didn't work all that well. But it's a great tool that I use occasionally to fix something.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Sunday Afternoons said...

It looks beautiful. I wish I was in your drawing class.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats amazing i drew one similar but know were close to yous i mean yours is better than mine in many ways brovo!!

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home