June 15, 2005

EDM Challenge #19 - Draw Something You Made


click here for a larger view

Karson was born in the fall, just 2 weeks after school started. I took off 6 weeks for my maternity leave. Knowing everyone would want to see pictures when I went back to work, I made up this little book to show off my family. I did not use anyone else's idea for making this, I totally contrived it on my own, although I had seen small book necklaces before...I had never seen this. I actually started making it without really knowing what it was going to end up like. The pictures inside were printed from my inkjet printer on photo paper in a really small size...14 pictures 1.5 x 2". I made the black paper strips just a slight bit bigger, so the actual folded size of the page is more like 2.25" x 1.75". The cover was cut from matt board and covered with a shiny finish paper that is printed with a mosaic pattern...and had hints of green and purple, which ended up being my color scheme.

The cover dimensions are 2.5 x 2 and it is about a half inch thick. I attached a ribbon to the spine under the end paper which is easily slid over my head to wear as a necklace. That made it easy to carry around. The closure was made by attaching an art bead with wire through two holes in the spine and twisting it together. I attached a loop of ribbon to the front which just fits over the bead tight enough to hold it closed, but it's pretty easy to slip off as well. It was a little difficult to figure out how to engineer the whole clasp thing, but I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. The pictures inside were pictures of my kids: 7 of Karson, 5 of Savannah, and 2 of Max...some of the pictures have Savannah and Max and Daddy in them with Karson. I got so many compliments on it. That wasn't really the point of making it, but maybe people just liked it because it was a different way to show off baby pictures...I don't know. Several of my friends said I should teach a class on how to make them. I was thinking of making up some instructions and posting them on here.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an ingenious solution for picture-sharing ... and a very nice illo of it, too!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Laurent Peters said...

Indeed, very nice drawing and what a good idea for the pictures!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both your drawing and the actual book are **wonderful.** Great job!

Pat
just pat

2:32 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Really nice drawing and book idea...yes do put up on your site how to make this and let us know!
Lindsay

3:00 PM  
Blogger Kathleen Pequignot said...

This drawing is so pretty and the idea is brilliant. I'm sure you'd have lots of new moms interested in such a class. :)

4:29 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Those watercolor portraits are great. The whole book looks just wonderful, and gives me some ideas.
Thanks for the inspiration.

5:01 PM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

Your little book is wonderful and the sketch of it is too!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Dawn said...

I just love the idea, the final product and the sketch. I think my favorite part of the sketch is all the little portraits going this direction and that direction.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Shelly McC said...

Oh Wow! That is a beautiful drawing, With the sweetest images of your baby. You have done a gorgeous job.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

such a beautiful keepsake and your drawing is so lovely, the colors beautiful against the slightly yellow paper and love the way you composed it on the two pages.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Dana S. Whitney said...

OK... I've surfed around for a half an hour now... WHERE do the EDM challenges come from? Helllllllllllp!
Thanks. I love your site set up and work, too.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home