June 02, 2005

Something I've been thinking about...

There is this house nearby. Everytime I drive by it, I can't help but stare. The yard is so interesting to look at...it's basically a lot of eye candy. It's cluttered, and totally over decorated...but I love the details, and there is some really interesting things in the front yard that I have never seen before. I would really love to go and draw in that yard. Would that be weird? I mean to go up to someone's front door and ring the doorbell, and tell the person who answers that I drive by their house all the time and the yard intrigues me...can I spend some time drawing in your front yard? I have never done anything like that before. Is it too off the wall? Do you think I am crazy? I am actually thinking seriously about doing this, getting a babysitter, spending some two or three hour blocks of time drawing in their yard this month. What do you think? I am not sure I am that brave, but I can't stop thinking about it. Do you think I should do it? Would you?

5 Comments:

Blogger veliani said...

yeah i'd go for it, i wouldnt want to spend another days regretting if i should've done this and all that. and think of all the possible discoveries and treasures along the way!!!! how exciting. ;)

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, I would definitely do it. I've asked strangers if I could draw them or if I could come to someone's house and draw from the front yard the vista across. Is it the drawing in public that bothers you, the asking if you can 'use' their yard/garden or both? There's a good chance they'd be flattered at being asked and I know they'd love the results!

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do it, do it, do it!! For years in my old neighborhood there was a house that everyone I knew called it "The California House" (this was in Tennessee) because it was truly colorful. One side was yellow, one side teal, one side rose (don't know what color the backside was.) Daily I thought that I would go and paint that house, but just didn't take the time. You know the end of the story: one day I drove by, and it was one solid color--white with black shutters. Such a loss! So yes, do it before this happens to you. BTW, you have inspired me: there is another house that I go by often and the front yard is always full of flamingoes (all sizes) and Breyers plastic horses. They live behind a fence. It is so wild and beautiful. So, as soon as I can, I am going to go ask for permission to wander and draw!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say go for it, but ask the owners. Reason being, there was a similar yard I really wanted to take pictures of one time and I went and did it without asking and got some flak for it. So ask, I bet they'd be happy to let you draw!

10:46 AM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

For sure do it! As a gardener I would be so flattered to have that happen. The other day I stopped because I wanted to take a pic in someone's yard for my blog---I was nervous about asking, but she was so flattered that someone like what she did!

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home