January 22, 2006

Some Pages from My Journal

These are a couple of recent pages from my journal. I have been busy planning a birthday party, so I haven't taken time with posts. And can you believe, I didn't even turn my computer on all day yesterday? Anyway, the first sketch was done at Joe's Crabshack in Ann Arbor, where Sam and I went on a date on Friday night. Afterwards, we drove into town and went to Border's bookstore and killed like an hour and a half reading books & magazines. Saturday morning I woke up and started cleaning about 9:30. The party was a 5:00. We had about 20 or so people come, all family and some close friends that are really a part of our family. At 9:30, we still had all the Christmas decorations up, including the tree. Max helped me take the entire tree down, and also helped with packing up the Christmas village. He was awesome. I could not have gotten it done so quickly without him. So by the time my mom and dad arrived at about 2:30, almost all the decorations were down and packed up and we were basically working on cleaning the house. By 3:30, we started working on the food. I made 8 individual strawberry cakes (Strawberry Shortcake was Savannah's chosen theme) from little 5 inch or so heart cake pans. The cake was white and we frosted them with pink cherry flavored frosting and dashed red and pink sprinkle dots all over for the seeds. We topped them with a little squiggle of green frosting for the top of the strawberry. They were very cute and the kids love having individual cakes. We also made a big cake for the rest of the guests, which my sister did an amazing job with the lettering. The party was loads of fun. We had tacos, spanish rice, bean dip and chips. I thought I had enough, but we ran out of drinks, sour cream, tomatoes and bean dip. Sam and Jason made a quick run to the convenience store around the corner for more pop, and the rest was not a big deal anyway...everyone got enough, and since it was my family, they were all fine with it. (But, next time, we WILL have enough). So everything was going great, except when it came time to light the candles and Savannah to blow them out, Karson started screaming and crying. All I could figure is that he wanted a chance to blow them out too, so Savannah, being the sweet sister that she is, left one for him. Our birthday present to Savannah was getting her ears pierced, which we did last Monday, so that on her birthday, she could have them to show off at school. Savannah got 20 pairs of earrings for her birthday (at her party), so she is all set for a long time, and she loves them all and can't wait until she can start wearing them (in about 6 weeks!). This other sketch is from last weekend when we went to Sam's cousin, Betsy's wedding. Their family business is going to fairs during the summer with their food trailers and selling food like fried veggies, hot dogs, fries, sausage, and shake-em-up lemonade. So at the reception, it was no surprise to see that the favors at each place setting were carmel apples. We brought about 10 home. They were delicious. I actually sketched this at the reception.

3 Comments:

Blogger pedalpower said...

Such a charming sketch from the wedding....I bet the couple would love to have a copy of it!

11:50 PM  
Blogger inki said...

I love the colors and the lines of the candy apple, Julie..very nice!
Glad your party was a success. :)
Dede

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's your cousin Deanna, I am enjoying your site!

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home