January 24, 2006

Mini Wearable Book

Last year I posted this drawing I did of a small handmade photo album I had created for when I returned to work from my 6 week maternity leave. I had to have some way to show off my kids, so this is what I came up with. A lot of people commented that they would like to have instructions for making this. Since I totally made this up as I went, I had to create the instructions myself. I am teaching a book arts class right now, and so tonight in class we made this book. Of course I had to write out the instructions in order to teach it so now I have them to share with you.

You can download a PDF of the instructions HERE

The ladies in my class did a wonderful job on their books. Here are some things we discovered:
It is important to have an accurate paper cutter.
An oval or round bead works better than a bead with corners.
We used a paper punch (1/8 ") rather than a drill and it worked great. (You punch the holes as far apart as the width of the bead.)
This project took me a full two hours to teach. You could probably make it within that amount of time.
If you do try it, let me know how it goes. If you have questions I will try to answer them.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lin said...

THIS IS SO COOL!!! BLESSINGS FOR YOUR GENEROUS SHARING!! Your sketch is outstanding!

5:50 PM  
Blogger c u r i o u s w e a v e r said...

This is really beautiful. Your PDF instructions are an art work themselves. Inspirational.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Very nice drawing -- I made a small book much like this and it was fun.

6:23 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

What a great concept and a fabulous drawing of it too. I can see the care and attention you put into every stroke. It's lovely. You should be very proud of it.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JULIE YOUR DRAWING IS GREAT, I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE INSTRUCTIONS, THO....CAN YOU EMAIL ME....

7:27 AM  
Blogger inki said...

Very nice Julie, thanks for sharing..your instruction page is as nice as the drawing itself!
Dede

7:30 AM  
Blogger Julie Durocher said...

Deb-
I think I know why you are getting confused. The layout drawing in step 2 is what you need to go by. The drawing on the second page is actually right, but it's flipped around. You need to go by the measurements on that drawing, not the way the book looks. The smaller flap needs to go inside when the book closes and the small spine needs to be next to the smaller 1 3/4 x 2 1/2" piece. If it's not then you will end up with what your book looked like in class, where the spines are switched around. Try it again. Let me know how it goes. If we need to I can get with you and we can do it again together. ok?
Julie

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home