September 22, 2005

lunch leftover

After my lunch today, I wanted to draw...I had about 20 minutes before I needed to get ready for my class, so I did a quick sketch of my bag, all crumpled up with the receipt stapled to it. I sketched it in pencil - just the outlines - and then using my rapidograph pen, did the ink drawing. I have to be careful with this paper though...The fibers catch the tip sometime and I know it's not good for the pen to be drawing on that kind of surface. I ran out of time, so I stashed all my stuff over on my desk including my bag and when recess time came along, I finished the drawing. Later, my fourth graders were using colored pencils on their henna designs, so I added the colored pencil. It was funny, they all thought I was just coloring in a book. When they realized I had actually drawn it, and that it was my arbys bag, they kept getting up a few at a time, as word spread around the room, and looking at the bag on my desk and then at my drawing. It was fun. I let a few of them look through the other drawings in my journal. I think it's great to let the students see me drawing once in a while. When I sit and work on something, the are interested in how I solve problems in my art and how I draw different things. They ask me questions...and they remember it, because often one or two will ask me about it later (like if its not finished). I've even had a few students bring in sketchbooks/journals to show me. Very cool!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love how you combined ink and colour pencil :)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Carolyn A. Pappas said...

Very inspirational story. I once had a similar experience when I was in school. I was in first grade and I drew a picture of a squirrel. Apparently, it was an awesome squirrel because pretty soon the whole class was surrounding me gasping in awe!

8:38 PM  
Blogger inki said...

Very nice! Great colors and detail Julie..nice paper texture too.
Dede

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home