September 06, 2005

EDM Challenge #28 - Draw an appliance

Hi again! I have people e-mailing me asking if I am ok...chances are you are wondering what has happened to me too...if you are a regular visitor. I am an elementary art teacher...and school started last week and that is pretty much the main reason why I haven't posted since a week ago last Friday! I have been slightly overwhelmed and exhausted as well...trying to get back into the swing of things, trying to figure out new morning routines (with Savannah going to school everyday) and trying to stay ahead of everything...which I don't think I am doing very well. But tonight as I was doing my laundry, I was noticing things I always am overlooking and I started thinking that my laundry room (in it's sad state) is actually really interesting. Pipes on the walls, cracks in the floors, drains, clothes, rugs, rust, detergent bottles, and so many other things...some which really should be cleaned up, but I just drew it like it is...that's the reality. Someday I would love to have a really beautiful laundry room with clean floors, walls that don't have paint peeling off, and NO cobwebs! But for now, I will just appreciate that I *have* a laundry room with working appliances and space and that it makes a rather interesting subject for a drawing. I really wanted to draw more of the room...but I will save that for another day. I must say, I haven't drawn for several days and taking 45 minutes to sit and draw uninterrupted was like heaven for me. I so enjoyed drawing tonight. I have to remember how much fun it is...because the last few days, in the evening, I have been so worn out that I just veg out in front of the tv for a couple of hours in the evening until I fall asleep. How I spent my night tonight made me feel so much better about myself and my life. I am so thankful I can draw.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lydia Velarde said...

VERY NICE! I love the shading.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Carolyn A. Pappas said...

I really like how you used the washing machine for text.

12:24 AM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

I'm glad you're back-I check your blog everyday. I love this drawing-truly a slice of everyday life. Very nice work!

1:31 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

Starting back to school after a good summer WOULD be overwhelming! You did a wonderful job on this ... love your persective and line work. You always make complicated subjects look so easy!!
:-)

7:27 AM  
Blogger Nita Van Zandt said...

This is wonderful! I love the detail and the text!

8:39 AM  
Blogger inki said...

Glad you had a few moments, and that you are ok, albeit overwhelmed!
Very, very nice drawing!
Dede

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely drawing. I like the overall brownish monochromatic look.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jim Bumgarner said...

Wow, this is really cool! I love the lines and the shading and the LETTERING. Wish I could do that!

Sketches and Stuff

3:24 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Hi Julie, I teach too and started back on Tuesday....dang but a job really cuts into drawing time! I hope to post soon. AM taking time tomorrow to DRAW.
Love the corner of your laundry room

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make even the mundane tasks of every day life become art. I,too, am glad I have a functioning laundry room. Sometimes we have to sacrifice asthetics for functionallity. Also I find that my clock is still set on vacation time. At 3:00, I want my blanket and a book. Ah, Summer! As always, Jules, wonderful work and thank you for sharing.

Joy

9:31 PM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

WOW, this picture is SOOOO amazing. It is just to cool. I love your work. Have you ever illustrated books??

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home