August 02, 2005

Drawing downtown

Tonight my drawing class met downtown Jackson to practice our perspective drawing and draw some buildings, cityscapes or whatever...but only one of my students showed up. We enjoyed drawing. I don't feel like I did a lot of instruction, but hopefully he will forgive me for that. So this is what I drew: The fountain is in a small park in the center of downtown. I used a white jellyroll glaze pen for the fountain and water. If you have never used these, the ink dries to a slick shine and looks raised a bit. The bad thing about them is they take a while to dry...but using them outside, it dried by the time I was ready to do my watercolor over the top. It worked like a resist. (An idea that someone on my Artist Journals2 group had mentioned about these pens - Thanks!) The second drawing I tried to do more as a contour - no shading with my rapidograph pen. I tried to get in as much of the detail as I could...but I did leave a few things out. I am pretty satisfied with it except that for some reason tonight I could not draw a straight line!

10 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Julie, your fountain looks wonderful. You did a great job with the watercolour too. I'll have to try these pens myself now I can see what they do. Thanks.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Ramesh Gandhi said...

This has come out so beautifully. I have tried white crayon resist, but it makes such thick, hard to control lines. It's perfect for the water.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Cin said...

both very nice, again, such a difficult subject. I like the buildings with just the ink lines especially.

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely fountain drawing, Julie. I absolutely love the way you did the water. I'll try to find out if I can get that pen that you mentioned overhere in Holland. I'd love to try and experiment with it. It seems like a cool pen.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Kelly Pyron said...

Wow! This is very nice! I love the technique you used with the Gelly Pen!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

What a great idea and a lovely drawing!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, I love this fountain. What a nice job. I would like one right in my backyard just like it, ha. It is fun seeing your drawings and actually trying some of the challenges. MOM

3:54 PM  
Blogger Valerie Millett said...

Julie,
Your sketches are beautiful!! Your whole blog is a breath of fresh air!!!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Beatrice said...

Neat technique / tool use on the fountain scene. I also really enjoy your contour drawing. Both are wonderful!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Julie, both drawings are wonderful, as always! I liked seeing the white pen used as a resist -- we'd talked about it on the group, but I hadn't thought it would look as good as it does.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home