August 01, 2005

EDM Challenge #25 - Draw a glass

I was looking through the cupboards for an interesting glass to draw and came across this souvenir (yes, I know I spelled it wrong in my journal...I really thought there was another e in it...oh well, thanks Google!) from a recent trip to Chicago. Ed Debevic's sells this "World's Smallest Hot Fudge Sundae" and you get the glass to take home. Not that we needed FIVE of them, but at least we have a nice collection. Obviously, I can't have ice cream in it while I draw, so I filled it with some gumballs...which I think I drew smaller than they actually were compared to the glass. And even though I sketched my ellipses in pencil first, and thought I had them right, they aren't perfect...and the right side of the glass is not as curved as it should be...but it was fun to draw all the distortions of the gumballs through the ridges in the glass. The gumball on the bottom was green, and I thought it was interesting that there were little specks of green all around on the bottom of the glass...but not any other color. It was also very challenging to render the embossed logo on the glass with ink. And...I found that when I did a wash over the writing my ink was not totally waterproof. I did not ever realize that before...I guess I will have to be more careful about that in the future. Here are some links to other artist's renditions of the glass challenge. Some pretty good ones, I think.
Allison's glass
Julie Oakley's glass
Cindy Woods' glass
Laura's glasses

10 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

Julie you did a great job! Especially as you gave yourself extra challenges by putting those added shapes into the glass!

11:13 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

This is a great drawing. You have captured the subject with style. My Nana always used to tell me when I made little mistakes in my knitting that the tiny errors are what shows it is hand made. If you wanted perfect you would have take a phtograph.

Cheers,
Robyn
Scratches & Scribbles

3:59 AM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

This is really beautiful! Thanks for sharing....Love the colors too!

9:36 AM  
Blogger KathyJ IN Md. said...

WOW! Your glass looks....like a glass. Which for me is hard to do. I think it's perfect. It has that 3-D look to it which I don't know how to accomplish. My glass and bottle look flat. Well done!

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie, I thought I'd already posted a comment! It must have got lost in cyberspace. I love how you took this challenge several steps farther, with the embossing on, and the scalloped shape of, the ice cream bowl and the addition of gumballs to add color and to repeat the shape of arcs. It is so interesting and complex and yet still so fresh somehow. Thank you for linking to my glasses, btw.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh this is a favorite - i love it! i love the detail - especially the imprint on the glass - and use of color. you captured the light and reflectiveness of the glass so well. great great drawing.

12:40 PM  
Blogger afaw said...

Nice piece. Looks challenging with all the reflection and refraction.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

Hi Julie

you really challenged yourself on this one especially considering how difficulf the subect is to begin with! beautifully done, and thank you for the link and comment !

1:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

this is an amazing drawing, julie. i have tried work like this before, but never with this success. you're aware of the asymmetry - i hope you're also aware of the way you've brought life to this image! it's great.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

Well I don't know how I missed this one - it's wonderful.

Regarding the non-waterproof ink I've just about given up on adding watercolour to ink drawings after having this happen a few times (and seriously wrecking some painstakiing work) but if you can point me in the direction of 'guaranteed to be waterproof' pens I'd appreciate it. My solution - when I really can't risk the black and white - is to scan it and print it out on my inkjet printer. The black inkjet ink seems waterproof.

Many thanks for the link back to my glasses

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home