October 05, 2006

The Drawing Game

This year, now that Max is in preschool, he comes into the church service on Sundays with me and Savannah. The kids sit through the worship part of the service (songs & stuff) and then are dismissed right before our pastor begins the sermon. Max has just been doing this since about the second week of September. The first week was a disaster. He had never sat in any kind of a service prior to this, due to our church's wonderful children's program of which I take full advantage. He wanted to shout and then got upset with me when I tried to limit his use of the offering envelopes and encouragement cards that had been placed about every six feet of pew in the entire sanctuary. Needless to say, I was so glad I had made the decision to sit in the balcony that Sunday. The announcement for the kids to go to children's church could not have been more longed for! Sam works in the tech booth on Sunday's so I had to deal with it by myself. I couldn't help thinking "what am I going to do next year when I have all three of them up here with me!?" Anyway, Max's obsession with "mail" (aka the offering envelopes and prayer cards) has manifested into a game that I love. And now, I look forward to church, because it is something special him and I do together. I now stock my purse full of cards and envelopes every sunday, as religiously as I pack the diaper bag (or I guess I should say the Diego backpack - because Karson is now responsible for his own bag and wears it around with pride...I think Diego is his new hero or something, he want's to be Diego for Halloween...but that is a different story) So the game is simply this...Max starts a drawing with one object, he puts the card in an envelope and passes it to me. I draw a little something and then pass it back to him. He adds another thing and so on, until the paper is so full, we can't cram anymore stuff on it. It's so cool, because he is learning to draw stuff like birds and owls. The other day I drew an owl on a tree and today I noticed he drew an owl. I love this game! It's quiet. It's perfect for church. Max loves the attention. So above is a drawing we did to day when I got home from school. It was the first thing we did together, and then we colored it together in photoshop. He's getting to be quite the little creative artist, don't you think?

Oh, and the details about his picture (because you need a 4 yr. old's interpretation to fully appreciate it) are:
It's fall. The sun is going down. The man in the moon is invisible, but he just threw a blue pebble down to earh. There is a bird by the nest and the owl on the other side is wearing a blue hat and playing a guitar. There is music coming out of the trumpet that the bird is playing (I drew the bird and added the trumpet after Max added the guitar...he added the lines for the sound). The yellow things in the sky...those would be shooting stars and the color of the sky is "Midnight black" according to Max.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all these happenings with your special kids. Just loved it!!! And Max is fast becoming an artist in his own right. Applause! Applause! What great ideas you think up in the roll of being a busy mom. You are inspiring and raise the bar for creative ways to fulfill your roll in a busy life as a parent.

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Julie! This is worth sharing! I am sending this "game" idea on to our pre-school and children's ministry directors here at the church. You should patent this, send it to one of those companies that publish ideas, have your sister share it at her MOPS meeting.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home