September 28, 2006

I drew this in drawing class last night while my students were doing contour drawings of their shoes. These are my favorite pair of shoes. I love the stripes in the fabric and they have never hurt my feet. They have been my summer shoes (meaning in the summer I wore them about 97% of the time that I was wearing shoes) for two summers, but I think I will need to find a new pair for next summer. These are really starting to show some wear, and I didn't realize how bad they looked until I started to draw them! They did however make a terrific subject with all the worn out spots and freyed threads. I also drew this pinecone. (These were both colored in photoshop, btw). The pinecone is being held between my thumb and finger of my left hand and the other fingers in the drawing crept in from a blind contour of my hand that I had done earlier on the same page.
My third drawing that I want to share with you is actually a 2page spread in my journal. Meal times around our house are sometimes quite a challenge. Sam has encouraged me to be having dinner ready to eat at 5:30. That is really pushing it some days, but I have been trying. But last night, I had drawing class, and as soon as dinner was over, I loaded the kids up to go to my friends house and we left everything on the table. When we all got home we had to get the kids in bed and cleaning up from dinner was the last thing on my mind, so when I came downstairs...finally glad to have some time to relax, I thought I should clean up and get that taken care of. As I looked at all the dishes, I started thinking about how I could tell which plate belonged to who by what was left and decided to do a journal entry about it. I painted these in watercolor, my travel set & waterbrush, in my moleskine...which as you may already know does not handle the watercolor so well. And so it really doesn't look too terrific, but I honestly was not trying to do a great painting, it was more about recording how my children eat their food. Karson is going through a picky stage right now. I have found that anything that remotely resembles a casserole is "yucky" and he would love if every meal could consist of goldfish crackers, chips, ice cream cones and gum. And so he is usually disappointed in what he finds on his plate. Last night he didn't touch the Hamburger Helper or his apple slices. He thoroughly enjoyed his corn on the cob...I picked it up from Ruehl's farm market on Tuesday and it was awesome corn!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this drawing and reminds me of some things when I was a kid. I guess we all have times when food is enjoyable and then sometimes there is too much on our mind to focus on food. At this stage of my life I have no problem with that, but when I was younger there was always a thousand things to do besides eat. Welcome back Julie. Loved your shoe drawing too.

10:36 PM  
Blogger inki said...

Julie..LOVE the painting of leftovers..colors are awesome. Good to have you posting again!
Dede

1:44 PM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

I love your new drawings....especially the leftovers! The painting, the lettering and the journaling all around....really wonderful!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Ramesh Gandhi said...

That's awesomely drawn corn! Exactly like a gnawed-on cob. I always love the way you compose a page.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

OH HOW WONDERFUL!! SKETCH AND JOURNAL PAGE!!!! FUN AND MEMORABLE!!

8:11 AM  
Blogger suzanne cabrera said...

The dinner sketch is quite possibly one of the best notebook spreads I have ever seeen. I LOVE it. I wish I could tear it out and put it in my sketcbook! Not only is the color and composition beautiful, but so is the text and message.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Jana Bouc said...

This is great and is really inspiring me to put writing in my sketchbooks. I don't know why I moved away from that but it sure makes it more interesting. Your lettering is terrific too!

2:10 PM  
Blogger andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

This is fabulous. The dinner sketch is just the best thing. I am so jealous!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Dawn said...

Love the leftovers journal entry. What a perfect way to document one moment in time in your family's life.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Manalena said...

great great 'leftovers'.
wish my leftovers were so chearful... :)
thanks for the inspiration!

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home