May 23, 2006

Butterfield Park

Tonight when I got home from work, I found out that Savannah's coach had cancelled their soccer practice, so now having the whole evening free, we decided to go to the park. Originally we were going to go to Ella Sharp Park, but there are several ball games going on over there on Tuesday's and we couldn't find a place to park. We ended up heading over to Butterfield park, much to Savannah's dismay. (she wanted to go to a place where there were lots of people so she could show off her skill with the juggle sticks we bought her last weekend) I love Butterfield Park (on West Avenue). It's quiet and it's maintained so nicely. And this time of year, the feature attraction is the baby tadpoles. The kids love trying to catch them. It was such a nice evening and the kids were playing together, so I ran back to grab my sketchbook out of the car so I could draw the little pond and all the kids who were so fascinated with the tadpoles. This drawing has Max, Savannah and some other kid who moved almost immediately after I started drawing him. Max and Savannah were great models for me, they stayed in thier position for a few minutes until I had finished sketching them. It's nice they will do that for me now. Anyway, we had a lovely time there. I think we were there for over an hour. I enjoyed just sitting there and drawing on the bench next to the little pond, the sound of running water from the fountain and the occasional sound of recorded frog songs that sung out from the bushes (what is that about?)

7 Comments:

Blogger Paula Adams Perez said...

What a precious record you are creating of your children's lives! And when you look back at this sketch, because you have drawn it and not just snapped a photo, the light and the sun angle and the scent and the breeze and their giggles will all come back to you...

8:50 AM  
Blogger pedalpower said...

This is beautiful....your blog is so inspiring. I would love to be able to capture people like you do.

9:35 AM  
Blogger inki said...

Very nicely done, Julie... very touching.
Dede

6:51 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Great sketch. I love how you showed the boy's pants in the back. Cute! (Not like the teenage boys who have the same thing going on intentionally. That's gross!)

1:52 PM  
Blogger Julie Oakley said...

This is really lovely Julie. I have you in my bloglines list but like a few in that list, your blog doesn't show up as having new postings - don't know why

8:44 AM  
Blogger Pedro said...

Beautifull opportunity, and the result is even best than the opportunity.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

PRECIOUS! CHARMING!! Just a gloriously rendered, wonderful sketch!!! WOW! You've captured such a tremendous moment and memory!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home