January 07, 2005

Illustration Friday: Disaster Relief


For this topic, I had to draw a child asking for donations for the tsunami victims for two reasons. First, I am impressed with the number of children who want to help. Even though they may be small, they believe they can make a difference. It is great to see everyone coming together to help in such a terrible situation...Second, I actually had an 8 year old come up to me at school and ask me to donate money...no envelope, no note from parents, just "give some money for the Asian people"...I have to admit I didn't jump at this opportunity and it raised a question in my mind that sadly, I am sure, some people take advantage of situations like this and ask for money and keep it for themselves. I don't know what her intention was, I am sure I could have investigated it further if I wanted. And maybe she really was taking donations to give to the cause, but I didn't feel comfortable giving her money so I didn't. I would like to encourage you to make a donation to the many well-trusted organizations that are collecting money for the relief efforts. What a great way to show a hurting world some love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Great drawing! I agree the children are well aware of what is going on!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home