December 03, 2004

Illustration Friday: Bubble


It's still Friday! So here's my illustration. I am in a Christmas mood, so naturally when I saw the topic was "bubble" I thought of bubble lights. I have to apologize...my illustration is not finished. I just didn't have time to complete the whole thing today. Maybe someday, I will actually start my IF illustrations before friday!
Drawing this illustration made me think about my family Christmases growing up. I mostly remember the times we drove out to Evergreen Farms...somewhere north of Flushing (near Flint)...we would ride a horse drawn wagon back to the trees and Dad, armed with a hacksaw, would find the "perfect" Christmas tree and cut it down. We'd drag it over to where we would get picked up, and wait there in the cold, with a campfire to keep us warm, until the wagon came back to get us and take us to the front. I remember there was a building there with a player piano and a big pot-belly stove. We sat around sipping hot cocoa until we got the feeling back in our toes. When we got home, dad would trim up the tree a little before he brought it inside, and we would get out all the decorations. Dad always set up the tree and put on the lights...he was most proud of the bubble lights and handled them with lots of care. He still has them I think and last I knew, still puts them on his tree. Then we all helped hang the ornaments where we could reach. We would talk about the ornaments we remembered and who they were from and when we got them while we listened to Christmas records (remember those?) on the stereo. We would always finish the tree with lots of tinsel. Dad was a big fan of the tinsel. I loved our Christmas tree. Drawing this brought back good memories.

3 Comments:

Blogger Karen Winters said...

I like the contrast between the brightness of the ornaments and the tree and the dark background. Just beautiful.

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is just LOVELY. Christmas always makes me feel so happy and content. it's beautiful :)

-serena

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a Christmas card you would buy in the store.Have you ever thought of doing something like that??

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home