July 31, 2004

Greg's farm

HOW TO MAKE MUSHY POTATO SALAD
Bravely, I volunteered to bring potato salad to Greg's today. We are having a potluck with our journaling class and meeting at his farm to draw. I have never made potato salad.
FIRST, MAKE SURE I HAVE ALL THE INGREDIENTS...NOPE...OH WELL, I CAN RUN TO WALMART LATER.
Cyndi came over and we worked on our business venture and constructed a few boxes as templates.
2. HARD BOIL THE EGGS...AND FORGET ABOUT THEM.
We got so busy making the boxes, I forgot I was boiling eggs. I kept hearing a strange noise..and I finally realized it was the eggs. Who knows how long they had boiled. So I immediately turned the heat off and covered them...and forgot again to set the timer...later, guessing it had been about 12-15 minutes, I took them to the sink and ran cold water into the pan I had cooked them in. Surprisingly, they turned out fine.
3. PEEL AND CUBE THE POTATOES. PUT THEM IN WATER. TURN HEAT ON HIGH AND GO TO WALMART. Sam was here, but I forgot (again) to tell him that I had set the potatoes on the stove to boil...when we got back (45 minutes later) there they were, boiling away.
4. BUY CELERY, ONIONS, VINEGAR, GRAPES, SHAMPOO, BAKING SODA, BREAD, 3 BOXES OF CEREAL AND DORITOS. I cannot believe how many kids were at Walmart after midnight. We got there around 11:45. We saw whole families...little babies all the way up to high school age walking around Walmart with their parents. What is the deal with that?
5. COME HOME, CUT UP CELERY, ONIONS AND EGGS. MIX 1 CUP OF MAYONNAISE, 2 TBSP OF VINEGAR, 1 1/2 TSP SALT,
1 TSP SUGAR, 1/4 TSP PEPPER, THE MUSHY OVERCOOKED POTATOES, 1 CUP CELERY, 1/2 CUP ONION, AND 3 VERY LUCKY HARD BOILED EGGS. MIX CAREFULLY SO THE POTATOES DO NOT MASH UP TOO MUCH.
6. PUT IN THE REFRIGERATOR AND CHILL UNTIL TOMORROW MORNING. Actually, it tastes really good. Hopefully it won't be too bad and everyone will still like it. We'll see. I am off to enjoy a great day of sketching at Greg's farm. It's rainy this morning...it should be GREAT fun!

It was a long drive out to the farm. On the way I stopped to deposit my paycheck and then stopped at a little store and got a grape Crush and a Twix bar. It's my time...I can indulge a little can't I? It was a nice drive...I was first to arrive but Pam and Sandy pulled in behind me. We met Greg's new dog, Bob...an English Shepherd - if I remember right. He was so cute...just a little puppy. And of course, Fanny was there to greet us enthusiastically! Greg gave us a tour of his home...He grew up there, when his mom passed away, he acquired it and moved in. He's been fixing it up...but it's a big project. After everyone had arrived we ventured out to the barn and to see the chickens...very cool. Greg hopes to have his studio in part of the barn eventually.

Later, we forged our way through the overgrown field full of Queen Anne's Lace and across the road to Eileen's Log Cabin. Eileen is Greg's neighbor, a kind lady who keeps a beautiful garden of herbs, vegetables and beautiful flowers. In her log cabin she has things she has made from dried herbs and flowers. I was very impressed by the unique herb and flower weavings she had hanging around the cabin. What a cool idea. The flowers and herbs smelled so good. I loved the chicks-n-hens plants she had planted in some old boots. It was so cool. I drew one of her scarecrows too. She (the scarecrow) had a lovely gourd head.

I didn't get to draw as much as I wanted. I want to come back and draw some things at Greg's farm. There were so many neat things like an old rusty lawnmower, the chickens, a door latch, the barn and it's stone foundation, the sunflowers...but I had to leave at One to get back to Ella Sharp for the open house/art show we were having for the kids that attended the art camp this week. I ate a quick (and delicious) lunch, we all signed each others journals, packed up my stuff and headed for Jackson. Today was our last class...Greg will probably teach another class in the fall, so hopefully we will all see each other again. I have grown attached to our little journaling group. It is nice to be with other artists on a regular basis. I hope that when school starts back up in a couple of weeks I will be able to continue to meet with my creative friends and do creative and inspiring things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home