February 10, 2005

The Churkendoose

Illustration Friday Theme: "The Year of the Rooster"


My illustration for Illustration Friday does not totally fit the theme..."The year of the Rooster," however, when I read the topic for this week, I thought of this book. Sadly little churkendoose was not even part rooster, but he DID have some confrontations with the Rooster who thought he was "too little to be much good for anything. And...mighty ugly." I really don't know how Sam and I acquired this book. Perhaps it may have been thrown in a box of stuff for the garage sale last summer from Sam's dad. I don't really know. But it had such a strange title that I was compelled to read it to find out what it was all about. It's about tolerance of others and appreciating the uniqueness of those around us. It was published in 1946 by Wonder books. I did not conceive the illustration, but drew it from an illustration in the book. The illustrations were by Dellwyn Cunningham...the story written by Ben Ross Berenberg.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michele Melcher Illustration said...

Thats great. It reminds me of an illustration from an old classic children's book from the 40's or something - I think it's the colors? Nice job!

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't find the little book until I was an adult, but I grew up listening to Ray Bolger's (the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz) charming musical interpretation of the story. I still have the record!

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim, Is there any way you can record this record? I have a new grandchild I would love to have it for. Thanks

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home