October 20, 2004

Drawing Class

I don't heave time to scan a drawing right now...I thought I would just update on what's going on this busy week...like I needed one more thing added to it...but it actually turned out to be a really neat opportunity. Greg was teaching an adult drawing class at the museum this fall, but hurt his back and wont be able to finish out the remainder of the class. So monday night, I get a call asking me to take over the class...it meets every Tuesday for 2 hours. I decided to do it, but was a bit aprehensive about the idea of teaching adults...I also didn't totally know what to expect, being that I only had a vague idea from a quick phone call to Greg of what had already been covered. So last night, I went to my first class. Two of the students were not there last night. But we had a good time. They are all wonderful people. I think I will really enjoy teaching this class if I can relax a little. Although I am a teacher, I am not always a great communicator or speaker. It is actually one of my struggles. I didn't get a job once because of it. Last night we talked about contour drawing, how to do it, why it is important to practice drawing this way. We drew some stuff I collected from our nature trail at school yesterday. I talked a little about shading and showing depth in a drawing, because they all wanted to add shading to their contour drawings. We also did some ink drawings with a pen and I showed them some methods of shading with ink. I also set up a still life and they drew that using a viewfinder and produced some real nice drawings.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an opportunity. Good luck with this adventure.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

Julie
Love that you teach art and discuss it on this blog of yours, keep it up...
As a trainer (not art), and current (forever) student of art it is so neat to see this post. Also know that adult education is very rewarding to the student, while they may not be able to tell you, they really want your information especially ART info! I pour over books but to see another person draw what I can not or in person seeing how their hand dances over the paper it is magic...

I have produced 400 + classes over 20 years and have seen speakers who are the good, the bad and the ugly...
The speaker/communication thingee is just like drawing the more you do it the better you become.

Lucky you, I want to retire and set up artworkshops for adults... ahhh but that is a dream for now
blarneybytes

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home