September 23, 2004

Art Club Project

I started an art club this year at school. I opened it up to 4th and 5th graders who have an interest in doing something extra in art. I have held one meeting so far at each school. Last week, the group that came worked fabulously together. We studied the artist David Hockney and looked at some of his photo collages and his painting of a chair. The girls took photos I had taken of a student chair and collaged them together. See the picture below.

Once this was done I did a quick outline of the image of the collaged chair and then they did it in oil pastels - with very little direction I might add. They created this fabulous drawing in about 25 minutes. Isn't it awesome or is it just me and my prejudiced opinion?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome drawing by your students. They must have a awesome teacher!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

hi
love this chair the students produced in in 25 minutes
very nice

blarneybytes/patty

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is amazing you have a great talent.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very very nice!!

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, they did this drawing as a group and it was successful! What do you hope to accomplish with your art club?

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guided them with adding the lights and darks in the end and with encouraging their techniques & colors that were working well.
I hoped they would learn a little bit about Hockney and some perspective or rather how Hockney liked to show the subject from different angles. This was hands on, because they saw the way I moved around the chair to take the picture. I also included a slide show of Hockney's photo collage type work so they would gain a better understanding of the project.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home